This simple pasta dish is gorgeous…
- 250g dried tagliatelle pasta (check it is vegan)
- 50g hazelnuts
- 50g rocket
- 1 tsp garlic purée/ready-chopped garlic
- ½ tsp salt and grinding of black pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 50ml water
- optional – 25g vegan parmesan or 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- Fill a large saucepan with boiling water and a generous pinch of salt, then add the tagliatelle. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes until just cooked through.
- Meanwhile heat a small, dry frying pan and toast the hazelnuts until starting to turn golden brown. Discard any papery skins that fall off in the pan. Set aside 6 hazelnuts and 8-10 rocket leaves for garnish.
- Add all the remaining hazelnuts and rocket leaves, plus the garlic, salt, lemon juice, olive oil, water and vegan parmesan (if using) to a blender or food processor and blitz to a smooth paste. Add a little more water if required to give it a pourable ‘sauce’ consistency. Taste for seasoning and add a little more salt if necessary.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and return to the saucepan. Pour in the pesto and toss through the pasta until it is fully coated. Divide between two plates, roughly chop the reserved hazelnuts and rocket, and scatter these over the pasta before serving.