It’s that time of year where we all seem to get the sniffles but how can we prevent or cure the cold or flu bugs without turning to over the counter mainstream drugs.
Here are a few natural remedies to think about.
- Vitamin D3 – Most of the body’s vitamin D is produced from sunlight, but there are great food sources like wild caught salmon, almonds and mushrooms, to help boost your intake. Vitamin D helps to build and produce antiviral peptides – which attack invading organisms such as the flu virus.
- Probiotics – Millions of good bacteria reside in your gut, and so does a large part of your immune system – they work together to keep bad bacteria from overrunning your body. Probiotics will support a healthy gut.
- Green tea – Rich in antioxidants, and helps to support T-cell function – one of your major immune system players.
- Elderberry – Helps to inhibit flu virus, and Norwegian studies showed consumption of elderberry extract reduced flu suffers’ recovery time by 4 days.
- Echinacea – Research shows it reduces severity and duration of flu and cold symptoms and is an excellent preventative.