We nearly all have a box of baking soda in our homes, well here are some fantastic uses for it…
- Face wash When you’re thinking of ways to use baking soda for your skin, try it out as a facial wash! Combine 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 1 teaspoon of warm water and stir to create a paste. Splash your face with water, grab some of the mixture and gently wash your face in a circular motion. Then, rinse your face with warm water and pat your face dry.
- Natural deodorant If you want to avoid the parabens and aluminum found in many deodorants and antiperspirants, try a pinch of baking soda mixed with water instead. This simple paste makes an effective and simple natural deodorant. You can also simply brush some dry baking soda under your arms.
- Heartburn, indigestion and ulcer pain- Most over-the-counter antacids contain some form of bicarbonate. Baking soda works by immediately neutralising stomach acid, helping to relieve heartburn, indigestion and even ulcer pain.
- Toothpaste- I personally use baking soda to brush my teeth and I have not used fluoridated toothpaste in quite along time now…. truth is, my teeth and mouth has never felt healthier! Mix a table spoon of baking soda in with some water to create a gloopy consistency, dip your toothbrush in and away you go! Your teeth and mouth will feel so refreshed afterwards.
- Teeth Whitener- Yes baking soda makes your teeth whiter too! Be patient and keep using baking soda in your daily oral health routine and you will see a big difference.
- Unclogs drains- The next time you have a clogged drain, use this tip- pour a cup of baking soda, followed by a cup of white vinegar down your drain. Then plug the drain with the stopper or a rag and let it work for at least 15 minutes. If the issue isn’t fixed, you can always rinse and repeat with no fear of harsh chemicals backing up in your sink or tub.
- Cleans carpets- if your carpet is just a little musty, you can sprinkle baking soda and then vacuum it up (similar to the mattress trick). However, you can also scrub out carpet stains using baking soda and water. After the power dries, you can still just vacuum it up.
- Cleaner for oven and fridge- Mix up a paste of baking soda and water and spread it over the interior of the fridge or oven. Let it sit overnight or for about 12 hours. Then using a spatula, gently scrape off all the dried paste and wipe any remaining residue with a rag.
- Hair treatment- Baking soda is great for the hair and scalp too. Mix a paste together spread over the hair and leave for up to an hour, then rinse and shampoo as desired. Baking soda, gets rid of dandruff and cleanses the hair beautifully, also adding a bit of body and volume.